Liz Stabbert Photography- Equine Portrait, Sales and Stallion Images, Equine Event- Monroe WA

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Miles City Bucking Horse Sale: The Long Road to Miles City

To tell any story properly you have to start from the beginning and the story of my weekend at the Miles City Bucking Horse Sale started with approximately 15 hours of driving. Thankfully for my sanity, much of it included scenes like this:



In Montana, if you don't like the mountain range you're looking at, theres another around the corner.


See those white peaks in the back there? According to my tour guide Al, they're part of Yellowstone National Park, a place I have never been and am convinced was created by God specifically as a playground for photographers...but I may be biased. It pained me to just drive by the stomping ground of photographers like Ansel Adams, Edward Muybridge and William Henry Jackson, the man who's photographs of Yellowstone helped convince congress that it should be our first national park (I could geek out on photo history all day), but we had a bucking horse sale to get to.


There were tons of wildlife that I saw along the way! I spotted deer, pronghorn, gophers, prairie dogs, elk, eagles, hawks, coyote, & bison. And also slow elk. Lots of them. I was super excited to see all the Pronghorn Antelope, like the buck above, since I'd never seen an antelope before. Later I found out that Pronghorn are not, in fact, antelope and therefore my entire life was lie.

Ok not really.

Not long after I took the shot of the antelope pronghorn Montana got rather flat and sparse and the hours of driving started to wear on me. By the time we got to our hotel in Forsyth, I was very excited to not be on the road. The next day the real shooting would start :-)

By the end of the weekend I had taken over 1,700 images. I have no idea how I am going to narrow it down to a handful from each day to show you. Wish me luck.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

LatigoLiz May 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

Ahhh, Anaconda-Pintler, Pioneer Mtns, and Absaroka-Beartooth. :) Nice areas. You should go there for more time. Way amazing compared to Miles City. Or I should say different I guess.

Looking forward to seeing more bucking horse pics.

Canoncowgirl May 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

Liz- I'm definitely going to have to spend more time out there next time! I'm thinking about going over early next year so I can spend some time in Yellowstone :-)

Followers